Monday, December 10, 2007

Who thinks the Garden of Eden is in Missouri?

A couple points of about this...

I am a fan of Big Love
I am a bigger fan of Lawrence O'Donnell
I don't think Eleanor Clift should be allowed to use the word "dis".




A side discussion about the absence of Eleanor Clifts defense of Odonnell.

In a tone that seemingly justified Mitt Romney’s devout Belief in the “religion of his forefathers”, the Mormon religion, Clift makes the point that she thinks all religions have crazy ideas. This apparently means that this is not a fight she thinks she can win and I guess its a fight not worth fighting.

Religions are crazy, and that matters when people believe that America should be run as a religious country, rather than a moral country. When this happens, a failure to hold people accountable for their wacky beliefs is not insignificant.

Let me put this another way…

Preparing for the marathon I knew I had a hurt knee. During the months that led up to the race I couldn’t run more than 7 miles without feeling some pain during a run. If I ran more than 12 miles I would feel knee pain for the next day. On race day at the half-way point (13 miles) I knew it was to be going to be a struggle because I not only felt the predictable knee pain but also some blister formation and chafing. The next 6 miles was a physical transition from a running a marathon to wandering the streets of the bronx.

The constant cheering of the crowds motivated me to keep going both physically and mentally. With 7 miles (140 blocks) ahead I futilely tried to not think about anything but the end. Our return to Manhattan was a relief but the crowds were much lighter than earlier in the race. This leg of the race feels different than the rest. Above 110th street, Fifth Avenue is lined mostly one deep with sparsely cheering locals who probably live within a 2 blocks.

As runners streamed passed me, and as I limped through the streets of harlem, I noticed this old man with a bible sitting in a lawn chair. Up to that point I had been hearing comments like “You look great”, “ Go You”, “You are a superstar.” All these were nice thoughts by people but completely untrue. I then looked at the man in the chair and this is what he said --- “I didn’t come all the way out here just to watch you walk”…

He was right. That is what I have to say to democrats leaders, the liberal pundits, and the rest of the people in Washington who are supposed to be representing me. I don’t care what you think you have done to deserve your spot as my voice, If you aren’t constantly fighting for ideals and creating results for the better it is time for you to step aside.

No comments: