Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Inspired By The State Of The Union...

Everytime I watch the clip of Carl Szmolinsky's Giant German Rabbits I become uncontrollably gleeful. Originally I was thinking that it would only be good for a sketch but I have had a couple nights to sleep on it and in my dreams wonderful things have appeared. I think this could be the biggest movie ever.

Karl Szmolinsky is a simple man with a tiny farm off the north sea of Germany. Karl has big dreams and wants to help solve the worlds problems. He is building wind turbines, and planting switch grass on his farm to help solve the worlds quest for renewable energy. He is also breeding giant rabbits to help solve world hunger.

Unfortunately, Farmer Szmolinsky dies 5 minutes into the movie due to a freak wind turbine accident. In his will he gives all his Giant German Rabbits to feed the famine stricken people North Korea. Instead of being used to feed the millions of poor, the rabbits are studied and experimented on by evil scientists in some sort of super evil genius plan to take over the world. On route to carry out their mission against the US some rabbits, "the moderates", try to escape. In a chase scene through the streets of new york city reminiscent of The French Connection the good rabbits narrowly hop out of one jamb after another until they find themselves in a hopless situation.

Wesley Autrey a.k.a subway man, comes to a last second heroic rescue of the good rabbits in a daring recreation of real life heroics. In a scene reminiscent of his real life exeperience -- the undercarriage of the subway car passes over him leaving the only evidence of his feat a slight smudge on his hat, a periwinkle blue beanie with a Playboy Bunny logo. A bond is formed.

I haven't gotten to the next act yet I am hoping it will come to me in another dream. I feel the bond between the rabbits and subway man is critical for next part. Like die hard meets who framed roger rabbit. There is tons of potential here and I dont want to force it. .

This is going to have to be an epic movie three, maybe four hours. I know what you are thinking. You are thinking that there has been serious literature about rabbits including Watership Down, the The Velveteen Rabbit, and Rabbit, Run. Well, you will happy to know that I feel its necesarry to pay homage to each of those classics in this film too.

The poster for the movie is the shot with Karl holding the rabbit up high.

1 comment:

the chef of restaurant 34 said...

sounds like a great film!